I almost wasn’t going to show this project. It just didn’t turn out how I wanted… and cutting the paper did not go as planned! It was in a sad state before. I removed some veneer off of the drawers and sanded the whole piece. I’ve been wanting to add paper to something for a while, and since the style of this piece is funky to begin with (in my opinion, it’s not a piece I would normally go for), I chose to experiment on it.
It’s painted in General Finishes Coastal Blue. The paper is from Rifle Paper co. It’s gorgeous, quality paper with a pretty design. I used spray adhesive to adhere the paper, then laid the drawers on a piece of wood with the drawer front and paper facing down. I then used an exacto knife to trim the paper so it fit perfectly (instead of cutting it to the drawer size beforehand and trying to adhere it without putting it on crooked and getting bubbles. It does fit perfectly, but it tore when I cut it. I don’t know why. I had a thick piece of wood I laid them on and a fresh new razor blade. Now it’s going to get some distressing to help with the rugged edges of the paper. I’m also still considering adding some knobs to the piece. The paper is already busy enough, so I might just skip it. Even thought this didn’t come out exactly as I planned, I think it looks much better with some fun paper on it. It helped add interest and pattern to the piece!