I have been wanting to paint a dresser in Driftwood milk paint for a while now, but I have not been able to find a dresser for longer than that. I’ve used the color before on a buffet and a vanity desk, and empire desk [note: the color looks light on some of those piece because they were sealed with wax, not with poly]. Finally I was able to pick up 3 dressers over the past 2 days and finish 2 of them right away (there’s another one close behind!). I originally went to pick up a different dresser, but this sweet one was also there and I couldn’t leave it behind. Somehow my dad and I barely fit both of them in our SUV and drove back to my car (we met up to go get the dressers) with our seats entirely visible through the driver and passenger windows. We looked like fools, but it was great, though not entirely safe 😉
The other dresser I picked up needs a lot of work, so this one was up first. The top had been sanded down when I bought it. Personally, I don’t always like the look of stained tops on piece (especially taller ones), so I opted to paint over it. It also wasn’t in the best condition so I didn’t feel too bad about it.
I lightly sanded the rest of the piece, vacuumed it and then wiped everything down with TSP substitute. I then let it dry, mixed up my Driftwood milk paint by The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co. (with the bonding agent added to help with adhesion and discourage chipping) and got to painting. I only used 2 coats on this piece. The paint had pretty great coverage, and part of that is due to the fact the it’s a brown/taupe color that was similar to the original wood color. Once the milk paint dried for a few hours I sealed it with 2 coats of General Finishes High Performance top coat in flat. I sanded in between coats with 320 grit sandpaper to smooth everything out, then finished the piece with some bone knobs. The finish on this dresser is gorgeous if I do say so myself. It’s smooth, has lovely variation, and the wood is peeking through just enough.