I’m pretty excited about how this piece turned out. It’s actually the matching high boy to the Mid Century Credenza with the white top I did a few weeks back. I originally only purchased the long credenza from the craigslist seller because the price for this taller dresser was more than double the other piece, but after weeks of it not selling, I got it for the price I had offered him.
This dresser was in worse condition, but that ended up being alright since I had a plan to do a reversed dipped look with it. The finish on the top was really worn and some chunks of veneer were missing and had to be filled in with wood filler. Here’s my plan I had drawn out.
To start, I wet sanded the 2 lower drawers and the bottom half of the dresser with 320 grit sandpaper. Once it was dry I went over it really lightly with 400 grit sandpaper over a sanding pad, then wiped it clean. You can read how I stain over a previous finish here, I’ve got pictures and steps to help you visualize it. This time I used General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain. Because a large portion of the dresser was going to be white, I didn’t want a duper dark stain, just a nice walnut color to refresh the wood. I let it dry for about 36 hours before sealing the parts I stained with GF’s high performance topcoat in satin.
Now that the staining and seal was done, I began measuring and taping out the portion of the dresser that would be painted. I purposely made the line where paint would start be off centered on the drawer to give it an asymmetrical look. Once everything was taped and measured I use poly to make sure no paint would bleed under the tape. You can read how to get perfectly clean lines here. I used my grey tinted Zinsser Cover Stain primer which I applied with a foam brush and let dry overnight. I then sanded and began painting. Before using white paint I added a coat of GF’s Seagull Grey so it was easier for the white paint to cover. For paint I used General Finishes Snow White milk paint (it’s actually an acrylic paint, not a milk paint). I used 6 thin coats to get the coverage I wanted. White paint always take so many coats! I did water it down slightly to get a smoother finish and help the paint level a bit so that also caused me to need more coats of paint. Once the paint dried, I sealed it with General Finishes high performance topcoat in Gloss for a lacquered finish look. I then removed the tape, added the original hardware back on, and it was done!