Oh man was this baby a headache! Plus it took about 2.5 months of work. Not exactly constant, but at least a couple times a week of prepping, filling, sanding, priming, sanding, spraying, spraying and more spraying. But it’s done! And while I’m happy with it, I am ready to move on to some other projects.
I stumbled upon a Willett buffet piece at Goodwill one day and snatched it up right away. I didn’t even have to think about it, I just knew it would be a good piece. It is made from solid cherry and is part of Willett’s transitional line of furniture. I liked the clean lines and the little hints of mid-century style it has while still being a traditional piece.
To start with I had to fill what seemed like hundreds of tiny dings and some larger scratches on the top and sides. I filled each one twice and sanded in between fills. I also knew I wanted to change the look and style of the piece by switching out the plain knobs it originally came with so I also filled the original boring holes at the same time. After a good sand everywhere I cleaned off the piece and rolled/brushed on (with a foam poly brush) 2 coats of Zinsser Cover Stain. I used my can that had been tinted a medium grey since I knew a red-orange color would be going on the piece… and that family of colors always require many coats.
When choosing a color I went with Benjamin Moore “Salsa”, which is a red-orange color. I’ve always been drawn to the color and for the past 3 years I pull the swatch every time I’m in a BM store. I have about 10 swatches of this color around and thought it was finally time to try it out. I used BM Advance in high gloss for the piece and after 2 coats I realized just how coral it actually looked. I was definitely expecting a red-orange. I went with it though, and in the end I had sprayed on 5 coats of paint. I sanded with a high grit sanding sponge or synthetic steel wool in between each coat of paint to smooth everything out. I did get a few drips/sags in the paint once. These occurred around the beveled moldings where the paint would pool up more. Once it happened I was able to spray those areas differently and not have it happen again.
If you want more details on how to use BM Advance paint and some of the pro and cons of it I recently wrote a detailed post giving my own little review about my experience with the paint. And I threw in a bunch of tips I’ve learned while using this paint. To see the post click here.
After letting the piece cure for a few weeks I brought it inside and added the new hardware I purchased off of Etsy. I chose brass bamboo pulls for the drawers and chinese style pulls for the doors. I used 2 pulls for each door to make a complete circle, and measuring and drilling holes for those took me hours. There was no room for mistakes with these. I love how the new hardware has totally transformed the piece and it hardly looks the same as it did when I first brought it home!