I shared this dresser on both my facebook page and a post here on the blog a little while ago. My original plan was to paint it (I had been thinking a darker blue) and highlight all of the trim and details in white.
The venner on the top was chipped off in large spots, so my mom took it off. I pretty much just stood there, but she is the ‘expert’ in removing veneer since she has done it before! 🙂 Removing veneer takes a soaking wet towel (preferably hot water), and iron and a scraper to get underneath the veneer. Basically just heating up the glue enough to get the veneer to peel or scrape off. Under the veneer it was just some oak wood that had a lot of bug holes in it. I patched them all with wood filler and let it dry before taking the orbital sander to it. I stated with an 80 grit sandpaper to get off any glue and really help start to smooth out the roughness of the wood and then finished off with a 220 grit to really smooth it out.
The dresser was ready to start painting, but I really had not clue what color. I was thinking blue, but I also thought maybe turquoise, grey, black… I really didn’t know. Usually I know right away or a while before I start a piece what color it will be and how I want it to look, but with this dresser I drew a blank. Right before I was about to start, my dad was starting at it and just told me he could not let me paint it. Even though it was not in perfect condition and had some missing veneer along with some scrapes here and there, it was not missing much. My problem was I had to paint the top and did not want it to look funny with the rest the dresser in natural wood. So, I decided to go with white!
I started by taping off and covering the frame of the dresser with frog tape so I could paint the top. I used 2 coats of Zinsser cover stain primer, sanded and then two coats of white paint. For some reason just one of the boards bled through even after the primer. It looked like one stripe of yellowed paint (I think it may have been some of the glue), so I did 2 more thin coats of primer and then finished with 2 coats of white paint. Once it cured I lightly sanded with 320 grit sandpaper and then finished the top with clear wax.
For the wood, I used a custom mix dark stain. I lightly sanded, then everything got one coat to give the wood a richer look and cover up any spots where the finish had been scraped off. Once it dried I finish it with a satin, water based poly and I made sure to sand in between coats for a super smooth finish. The hardware on the larger drawers got sprayed white and distressed, and the top drawers got new, smaller white knobs from hobby lobby. I have not done a stained piece in a while, so it was good to not paint something for once.