I knew I wanted to paint it, because that is what I do, and it needed some color. I also was not a fan of the different veneers and drawer fronts on the dresser. Everything got sanded down, then it was on to painting. I start with the drawers, then the frame of the piece, and the last part I paint is always the top. Just before painting the top I realized the look of the wood top and the blue color paired well together, and I should leave it. I really should do this more often, but sometimes I just don’t think of it!
A few spots on the top lip had gotten some blue brush marks, so those were taken off with a clorox wipe. The finish on top had some water rings, lines and other areas where the finish was worn and missing, so our orbital sander got broken out and the top was sanded down to bare wood so none of the old finish remained. I used a custom mixed stain that was part dark walnut and part some other color with slight red tones. The wood already and previously had some red color to it, so I went for a similar color when staining it again. After the stain had dried all day, I sealed it with Formbys Tung Oil Finish which I already owned from another project. It seals the surface and gives a hand rubbed finish. The can says low gloss, but there is really almost no sheen and the oil soaks into the wood to fully seal it. I used two coats and made sure to wait 24 hours in between.
The painted parts of the dresser got sanded with 320 grit sandpaper to give a super smooth finish. I sanded the edges and detail along with some other areas to give the dresser a worn finish. After it was wiped off I sealed the paint with clear wax and then added new hardware to dress up the piece. Hardware makes such a difference! Normally I go for a more modern look with white pulls, but I love the old feel and character this piece has with the stained top, smokey paint color and dark pulls.