I picked up this dresser at goodwill and loved the shape and lines of the piece. The faded stained finish definitely needed some help, but it was sturdy and well built. After bringing it home and asking what I should do with the piece on my facebook page, I decided it was going to be painted, and in a bold color. Side note: I did sand down one of the center drawers with the diamonds in an attempt to see how they would stain up, but because of the different directions the veneer was laid, sanding it ruined some of the veneer so it did not take the stain well. I even tried a regular stain and a gel stain.
So after priming the dresser with my grey tinted Zinsser Cover Stain primer and sanding it smooth, I started painting the dresser with General Finishes paint in the color Persimmon. Even though I did use a tinted primer, this piece took 5 coats of paint. It was a lot, but I knew I had to expect it since I’ve painted this piece with orange milk paint before and it took quite a few coats. The problem with this dresser, I ran out of paint after the fourth coat, but my friend Christina or Phoenix Restoration came to the rescue with an extra pint. [Go follow her blog, facebook page, and instagram]
I made sure to sand in between each coat of paint to minimize any brush strokes. I also mixed a small amount of water into my paint container for the last coat of orange. It helped to leave a super smooth finish and let the paint self level as it dried. After letting the paint cure, I sealed it with General Finishes high performance topcoat in satin. The top got 2 coats, and the rest of the piece got one. Now this dresser looks super retro and vibrant with its new paint color and shiny finish.