Hey guys! I have a quick little update I did to an old side table to share today. I needed a project to work on (I’m missing the lack time I get to spend making thing over 🙂 ) and pulled out this table I got from a coworker earlier this year. This was such a quick project I wish I had more little pieces to work on, but my current inventory is filled with time-sucking pieces and the Seattle weather has gotten too cold for garage working. I was able to squeeze this one in before it got too cold to spray furniture for a while.
There are always those pieces of furniture sitting around that are (or can be) totally functional, but need some updating. That’s how it was for this piece. The green paint wasn’t my thing and there were some areas that needed some attention before it got another coat of paint. After hiding in the garage it was time to pull it out and freshen it up.
The main problem was a little crack that had opened up in the wood overtime that needed some filler along with some deep wood grain on the top and a few small knicks on the base. Nothing a bit of sanding and filling couldn’t fix. I used my favorite filler, Bondo glazing putty. This product is best for filling small scratches and dings which was perfect for this project. Once I filled all the spots I let it dry for about an hour and then sanded everything smooth with 150 grit sandpaper and my electric palm sander. After a wipe down with a damp cloth I used a spray can of Zinsser Cover Stain to prime the table.
The spray primer gives a smooth finish but once dry I did use a 220 sanding sponge to smooth it out before painting. To make things easy on myself I sprayed on 2 coats of General Finishes ‘Lamp Black’ milk paint (it’s an acrylic paint, not a true milk paint) with my HVLP spray gun. I turned the table on its top while spraying the first coat on the legs, and then I turned it right side up for the second coat. It took 2 quick coats, and once they dried I sprayed on General Finishes high performance topcoat in satin. In all it took me about 2 hours (not including dry time, I was doing other productive things during that time 🙂 ). Not bad for a quick update to make this piece a little more classy!
I also have to talk about the bird’s eye maple bed frame. It’s one of my summer estate sale finds and I love the Jenny Lind style it has. I’m not as excited about the color and have considered stripping it and leaving it a natural color (getting rid of some of that orange), but stripping all those spindles would be a paint. Feel free to weigh in with your opinion and what you would do to the bed frame in the comments. 🙂
Stay connected and see what else I’m working on: